Wednesday, April 25, 2007

combining 19 and 20...

Just a quick thought on the whole "WEB 2.0" experience and where I see it going. Simple fact; it's here to stay! Get used to the idea that CHANGE is imminent! CHANGE is a GOOD THING!!!Every second of every single day the web is changing and as it changes, so too do our library systems.

There are some who think that the computer will obliterate books. If that were the case, it would have happened a very long time ago. Humans have evolved, especially our young ones, to a level of multi-tasking in which the information is not only gathered and obtained via books but even more so thru a computer. Librarians today have got to be savvy in their knowledge and use of computers and the web. It behooves them to know as much as their patrons especially the young, school age ones. If libraries are to be a part of the community, then it makes sense for the establishments to house and make accessible such knowledge as can be found on the web as well as ensuring their employee's understand and use the most up to date tools. Isn't that why we are participating in the KCLS 27 THINGS project?

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

With that, I couldn't think of a really good reason for using the spreadsheet maker or the word format in google or Zoho in fact, I find it silly, to be honest. If you own a computer, then you most likely have msn office or outlook on your computer and it has excel, word, publisher, etc. I suppose if someone had a really stripped down computer then yeah, they might want to use these programs, but I'm happy with outlook. I can do everything, including share and have my fellow co-workers edit my files if I want them to.

Thanks, but NO THANKS!!!

No comments: